science

discussion

How to tell if there's a simulated cluster in an AP image?

Started by JeanTate
Default_user
about 7 years ago

From the image itself.

If all you have is an AP image, like this, how can you determine if it contains a simulated cluster?

More generally, what are the plans for making the AP images publicly available, so they have the appropriate meta-data attached (such as you'd find in a FITS Header)?

Somewhat related question: if any zooite, not a member of the AP Science Team, were to do independent research using AP images, how should they refer to those images in any document they might produce (e.g. a Zooniverse Letter)?

Default_user
over 6 years ago

There's a couple of new responses (comments) to the AP blog post First Results at AAS, one of them by the author, lcjohnso. So perhaps members of the AP Science Team are also reading the AP Talk too? If so, I'd like to bump this thread, and the questions I asked in it, in the hope that it might now get answered.

Default_user
over 6 years ago

I am very uncomfortable about working on images that have had things added. I don't mind in a training session, but to me the appeal of these projects is that the images are genuine views of the universe around us.

If you want to check for accuracy then compare with other user responses.

How I feel about it is the same as if you published a fake paper in a journal just to check up on how other researchers would react. Science is based on honesty and faking data isn't something that should be undertaken casually. Encouraging this mode of thinking gradually undermines the whole basis of trust that is key to progress.

Default_user
over 6 years ago

Synthetic clusters are really a valuable tool. They are a test of what types of clusters can be seen - and what types can't be detected. More here: http://blog.andromedaproject.org/2013/10/14/synthetic-clusters/

Please Log In to make comments.