science

discussion

SDSS galaxy: Grundle-1 (2MASX J00471452+4217055)

Started by JeanTate
Default_user
almost 7 years ago

This nice, round elliptical-like galaxy was first commented on in a Talk thread on the image I've copied here, AAP00009cl, by very active zooite grundle. The date seems to have been 6 December, 2012; grundle wrote "Another huge galaxy."

I have given this galaxy the thoroughly unscientific, completely unofficial name Grundle-1.

Its official name is 2MASX J00471452+4217055, a.k.a. 2MASXi J0047145+421705, a.k.a. [GFB2004] J004714+421706, a.k.a. MESSIER 031:[CCS85] 090, a.k.a. Bol 493. The nucleus is at RA: 11.810458 Dec: 42.284917.

One curious fact: while the first two names refer to the famous 2MASS catalog of infrared sources (for more about 2MASS, click here), the last three names refer to globular cluster catalogs! :-O In other words, it seems that zooite grundle was the first to correctly identify this object as a distant, background, galaxy (and not an M31 globular cluster).

I wonder how many other mis-identified objects await re-classification, by AP zooites with keen eyes?

ABOUT: SDSS Galaxies in the Andromeda Project - click the link for more details of this mini-project-within-a-project.

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

That's an SDSS DR9 Navigate image of Grundle-1, with a scale twice that of the AP image. Next: another SDSS DR9 image, zoomed out.

ABOUT: SDSS Galaxies in the Andromeda Project - click the link for more details of this mini-project-within-a-project.

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

Cutout from the Tartu Observatory giant zoomable M31 image, centered on Grundle-1:

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

Cutout from the Massey et al. M31 BVR mosaic, centered on Grundle-1, and zoomed in 160%:

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

What an honor. Thank you for that unscientific designation!!

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

Sorry to rain on the parade a little here, but this object was one of the few objects in this survey previously known to be a background galaxy. A spectrum I took a while back showed it to have a velocity of +46,000 km/s, quite a bit higher than that of Andromeda (which is actually coming towards us at -300 km/s), and so I concluded the object was a distant galaxy, participating in the universal expansion, that afflicts space. The reference is http://iopscience.iop.org/1538-3881/137/1/94/ in table 4, but it's a bit of an ordeal to find it there.

Anyway, as I said. very few of the background galaxies you all are finding in the survey were known before, and certainly it's ok with me to call this one "Grundle-1"! (ncaldwell- science team)

Please Log In to make comments.