What's a "synthetic cluster"?

Started by njmeluch
Default_user
over 7 years ago

Classifying the right/orange cluster I got this message on the screen "Nice, you found a synthetic cluster!"

??

Default_user
over 7 years ago

From the tutorial :

Synthetic clusters

In addition to real clusters, we have inserted some highly-realistic synthetic clusters into the images. We use these objects to understand which kinds of clusters can be detected in the images, and which will be overlooked. Knowledge of these limits will be essential to deriving how Andromeda's system of stellar clusters evolves over time.

Default_user
over 7 years ago

We talk about the synthetic clusters in the Guide:

"In addition to real clusters, we have inserted some highly-realistic synthetic clusters into the images. We use these objects to understand which kinds of clusters can be detected in the images, and which will be overlooked. Knowledge of these limits will be essential to deriving how Andromeda's system of stellar clusters evolves over time."

Similar to the synthetic transits used on the Planet Hunters site, we use synthetic star clusters on this site to help determine how complete our cluster catalogs are. To do good science with the clusters, we need to know what sort of objects we miss - these synthetic clusters help us figure this out.

Default_user
over 7 years ago

tutorial?? I didn't see that i the walk-though.

Looking at the "Guide" (which maybe you look at as the "tutorial") I see it there (now that you say this). I went to the guide to figure how to use the linear/ghost buttons, but I guess I'll review the other pages too. :)

Default_user
over 7 years ago

Heh. Found another ...

Default_user
over 7 years ago

If you're finding the synthetic clusters, that's a good sign that you're doing something right! But, don't worry if you're -not- finding them often either, given that they aren't inserted into most images, and are designed to be hard to spot even when they're there.

Default_user
over 7 years ago

Ah, rats! I felt so pleased with myself that I found one.

Default_user
over 7 years ago

I found three tonight! I think that's good lol

Default_user
over 7 years ago

Scattershock -- you should feel pleased that you found one! Some of them are very tricky, and it's a sign you're doing the right stuff!

Default_user
over 7 years ago

I have found 2 tonight after going through about 20 images.

Please Log In to make comments.