science

discussion

SDSS galaxy: Wright-1 ([CHM2009] PHF4-1)

Started by JeanTate
Default_user
over 6 years ago

This neat spiral galaxy was first commented on in a Talk thread on the image I've copied here, AAP00002dk, by prolific AP zooite wrights_kentucky. The date seems to have been 6 December, 2012: "#spiral #galaxy"

I have given this galaxy the thoroughly unscientific, completely unofficial name Wright-1.

Its official name is [CHM2009] PHF4-1, making it a 'sibling' of Grundle-1, in that it was first identified as a galaxy in "STAR CLUSTERS IN M31. I. A CATALOG AND A STUDY OF THE YOUNG CLUSTERS", by Caldwell et al. (2009). The nucleus is at RA: 11.223625 Dec: 41.282500, and it has a redshift of 0.18398.

ABOUT: SDSS Galaxies in the Andromeda Project - click the link for more details of this mini-project-within-a-project.

Default_user
over 6 years ago

That's an SDSS DR9 Navigate image of Wright-1, with a scale twice that of the AP image.

Notice that the galaxy seems to have a 'cross artifact' through its nucleus; this could be because it is so bright that it (the nucleus) seems indistinguishable from a star (a 'point source'). Such 'star-like' nuclei are often seen in images of Seyfert galaxies, and quasars, i.e. galaxies with AGNs (active galactic nuclei); perhaps Wright-1 has an AGN too?

Next: another SDSS DR9 image, zoomed out.

ABOUT: SDSS Galaxies in the Andromeda Project - click the link for more details of this mini-project-within-a-project.

Default_user
over 6 years ago

Quite a few other galaxies about!

Default_user
over 6 years ago

Cutout from the Tartu Observatory giant zoomable M31 image, centered on Wright-1:

Default_user
over 6 years ago

Cutout from the Massey et al. M31 BVR mosaic, centered on Wright-1, and zoomed in 160% (unfortunately, it only just makes it onto the mosaic):

Please Log In to make comments.