chat

discussion

Question

Started by traver
Default_user
almost 6 years ago

I am a newbie here (about a week)...

Question: Is each individual sky map given to multiple users for assessment. IE: If I look at and assess a given map...will other users also be presented with the exact same map for their assessment...thus creating multiple assessments of the same map for verification/validation reasons?

I ask this because after using the "comment" function on a given map (I liked it 'cause it had two galaxies)...I saw that multiple other users had already commented on the same map.

If that is the case..doesn't that slow down the process dramatically??

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

Yes - each image is classified by several users (I forget how many in this case, I am sure a science team member will step in with the answer!) but it is usually something like 20 - 50 people per image, maybe more. This is how citizen science works as an average classification is obtained which smooths out any errors. For example, one person might have hit "finished" too soon and missed a cluster. That doesn't matter as long as there are enough other people classifying who marked that elusive cluster. Having each image classified just once would certainly speed up the process but it would also adversely affect the accuracy.

Good question!

The wisdom of the crowd approach certainly works!

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply...makes sense to me,

Please Log In to make comments.