chat

discussion

Just signed up and wanted to ask - use of scientific tools..?

Started by zababa
Default_user
almost 6 years ago

First of all, hello guys, it's nice to be here! :)

I was wondering, have there been any attempts to try and analyze the data using some particular method of elaboration? I am an Applied Mathematics graduate and I've had some experience in working with image data, in particular Compressive Sensing techniques. While endeavoring on my own, I realized many properties of the image can be distinguished and elaborated by using Matlab, for instance.

So, in short, would it be okay if I tried to do something like that? Can I use an image for a few tests?

Thank you in advance, I will continue classifying in any case! :)

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

So... no one is going to say anything? I had the impression this was a more welcoming community...

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

Hi Zababa -- If you want to get your hands on the images directly, probably the easiest thing is to grab them from the Hubble Legacy Archive (google will find it for you in a sec). You can search on "M31", and restrict to "ACS" (the name of the optical camera). The full resolution data is in "FITS" format, which is the astronomical standard, consisting of a header attached to a binary file. There are lots of publicly available FITS readers. If you want to work in matplotlib, there's a python package called Astropy which has everything you need, and lots of advice on Stackoverflow. There are also FITS readers for Photoshop.

And in terms of not responding promptly, most of the science team is on the west coast of the US, and we have to sleep sometime!!!! Cut us some slack ;-).

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

Hi, and thanks for your reply. I really should have considered the time difference, and I am sorry if my second comment came through as a grudge, it really wasn't. Just eager to do things! :D

So thank you again, as I said I will continue classifying objects nonetheless, it really is an addictive mission. If there is something I come across that might be interesting, I will make sure to come in contact with you! :)

Have a nice day! ;)

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

Fantastic! Here's hoping you find something amazing. :)

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

hi just saw this discussion and wanted to add that there is a website where you can get a picture of your preference taken on that day at night and sent to you by email.

the link if you would like it is here

Please Log In to make comments.