chat

discussion

Why is the Andromeda Project soooo addictive?

Started by JeanTate
Default_user
almost 7 years ago

Sure, I love galaxies, but I found myself spending more time here, on the Andromeda Project (AP), than on Galaxy Zoo! And that was long after the novelty had worn off!!

It seems I'm not alone, among zooites who've been active in several Zooniverse projects: there are quite a few comments here about how AP is addictive, and more so than any other Zooniverse project.

Why?

Getting some answers may help in the design of future projects; a little tweak here, an otherwise-overlooked feature there, and soon there'll be mass desertions from WoW (;-) just kidding, but you get the idea). Maybe the Zooniverse team could reach out to some gamers? or game developers?

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

OK so I am a moderator and you might expect me to hang around but I really do think this project is quite special. Firstly, I like observing star clusters in our own galaxy so there was an immediate connection. Other factors include:

1. Smooth, fast (for me!) interface.

2. Nice tools - pleasure to use.

3. Fairly short time to classify each image giving a fast turnover - helps keep things fresh!

4. Each image quite different - densely populated bulge images, sparse disk images, bright compact clusters, galaxies, HII regions etc - and when I had really got my eye in I began spotting the not so obvious synthetics which suggested I was catching some of the genuine fainter clusters.

5. Opportunity to be the first to ID a new cluster or galaxy.

6. I found the synthetic cluster feedback motivating.

7. Stupendous science team input to both Talk and blogs! :D

8. And just when the first phase is over we are developing a nice little star cluster community over here. :)

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

I agree with both of you! Very well summed up there jules.

This particular project really appealed to me for some reason and I became hooked very quickly, once I got the hang of it.

Finding the galaxies is the best part for me, although some of the globular clusters I saw are pretty special too!

So Round #1 is complete and I already have withdrawal symptoms!!

I might get a better mouse, as I think I've worn this one out, lol

Bring on the next round! ;-)

Default_user
about 6 years ago

Time to bump up this thread. We're back. I'm still addicted. I really should be doing something else. I need help.

Default_user
about 6 years ago

I'm back and just studied and marked a whole load of images uhoh .. I may need therapy at this rate, lol. Yes Jules it's addictive :-)

Default_user
about 6 years ago

Thanks sunrise1! We can promise that some good will of your addiction!

Default_user
about 6 years ago

I love seeing some of the same names from Round 1. Thanks for coming back sunrise1!

Default_user
about 6 years ago

I am obsessed I started today and I am hooked I had a while ago tried planet hunters but didn't become as addicted as I am to this. Some of the images I am finding are amazing.

Default_user
about 6 years ago

I just found the best ever globular cluster. Then I found an even better one! These round 2 images are the best. :)

Default_user
about 6 years ago

I'm loving the dust clouds. PHAT focused on less-dusty regions, so there weren't many in Round 1. But the new archival data is in a much dustier part of the galaxy, so lots of beautiful clouds.

Please Log In to make comments.